Friday, November 18, 2011

Dealing with Death

Working in the Emergency Department, there are times when things really are life or death.  A lot of times rapid diagnoses are made and treatment implemented that help to stabilize and save a patient's life.  Other times, things don't go so well and the patient passes away.  That is something that I have had to learn to deal with as part of my job.  The hardest part about it, is having to go and talk with the family members and let them know about the passing of a loved one.  By far, the worst part of my job.

This week, unfortunately, I have had to deal with the passing of a family member.  I wish that my ER training was good enough to let me know how to better deal with that.  At work, there is always another patient in need of help to take your mind off of what just happened and to make you move on.  When it is a family member, you cannot just move on and forget about it.  It becomes a permanent part of your life that has to be dealt with differently.  When I have to go and talk with a family, I usually don't have much support around me.  At least at this time, there are others that are also affected.  We can help support each other as we move forward in the new life that has been handed to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment