Friday, November 18, 2011

That doesn't look right!!

The other night as I was working on some charts, I heard screaming coming from the ambulance entrance.  "The baby's coming!  The baby's coming!!"

I hurried outside to see a very frantic woman running around a car screaming.  Most of what she said was completely incoherent.  All of the doors of the car were opened.  There was a pair of legs sticking out of the passenger's door.  This does indeed happen every once in a while.

After getting Miss Frantik to settle down enough to breathe, I found out that the other woman's water had just broke and she was about 6 months pregnant.  I went to the car to find another very anxious woman.  I quickly looked to see if there was a baby, and there was not.

We quickly got her on a cart and got her inside.  Now that there was some light and I could see better what was going on, I took another look to see if I was going to have to deliver a baby right there in the hallway.  As the lady spread her legs, a tiny little foot popped out at me.

Now, for those of you who know nothing about the process of delivery, the foot is not what you should she first.  It should be a big round head, not a skinny little appendage with 5 little toes.

This is a situation that is not best dealt with in the ER.  So, one nurse started pushing the cart as another nurse ran on one side with me on the other toward labor and delivery.  Luckily, this was late at night and the halls were abandoned, although I am sure that the lady woke at least half of the hospital during our journey.  We were able to get her to labor and delivery prior to her delivering any other portion of the baby.  At that time I more than willingly let the obstetrician take over and quickly went back to my domain!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy! I think even a trained and qualified ER doctor would want to only deal with cut, broken and mangled adults and children, NOT tiny infant feet popping out of someone. Thank goodness for the OBs, eh?

    Maybe you could put up a little sign: "I Don't Do Fetuses."

    ReplyDelete